Saturday, October 27, 2012

Dealing with flare-ups

Unfortunately even with a good Comprehensive Management Plan there are still times when I experience flare-ups.  This week has been one of those weeks.  I changed shifts at my job which started on Monday.  I went from working 3pm - 11pm to working 11am - 7pm.  Definitely a change for the better but my stomach really reacted to the change.  I think a little because I was so excited to get off afternoons.  It started first thing on Monday and has continued everyday this week.  I've been nauseated, bloated, gassy and had episodes of vomiting.  Some days my stomach just ached.  So in order to minimize the flare-up I've tried to stick with just Glucerna, crackers and of course the beets.  Beets will instantly make my stomach feel better. 

Even though I've felt awful all week I still did my Yoga routine and my daily meditation.  I did not do the additional 30-60 minute workout but was able to get my lunch time walk in a couple times this week.  I think it's vital that when you feel bad you don't let yourself wallow in it.  It is what it is and all you can do is deal with it the best you can until it passes.  I think if you let yourself wallow in it you'll only feel worse.  And why would anyone want that?!  So I still do as much as I can and that makes me feel a little better.  Walking is really great exercise on days I feel too bad to do a more intense workout.  Unfortunately we were very busy at work this week and I didn't always get to take a lunch and wasn't able to go for a walk.  When I get off work it's too dark out to walk.  Mornings were out since I was really having trouble getting moving that early when I wasn't used to being awake yet.  However, I know it will get better, I will adjust and this flare-up will pass.

It's also not always easy dealing with friends and family during these flare-ups.  I just have to remind myself that they are not dealing with this and isn't that easy for them to understand.  I mean I have a hard time understanding and I am living it.  When I have flare-ups the initial response is, "Have you eaten anything different?"  It's not always because of something that I've done.  Sometimes flare-ups will just happen, it is the nature of GP.  When they do I just have to keep the right attitude and try not to let it get me down too bad.  That's when I might need to take Zofran or Phenergan.  I might have to eat some Nauzene chewables.  Might have to rely on Glucerna and crackers to sustain me until the flare-up subsides.  The important thing is realizing that they will subside.

No comments:

Post a Comment