Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Comprehensive Management Plan

It took some time to figure out a Comprehensive Management Plan that works for me.  When I first started getting sick it seemed like everything I ate made me sick.  Once I was diagnosed I started searching online for solutions to make me feel better.  Instead what I found was an overabundance of negative information.  I read stories about people who were dependent on feeding tubes to survive.  People who were so ill that they were unable to function at all, that had to leave their employment because they were simply too sick all the time to go to work.  At the time I was having very little luck in figuring out what to eat.  I was terrified that I was going to end up like these poor people I had been reading about.  However through my search I was able to find Crystal Saltrelli, she is amazing.  She has Gastroparesis herself and has become a Certified Health Coach.  Her website is http://livingwithgastroparesis.com/ and she can also be found on Facebook.  She offers very positive and effective advice and has written a few books on how to effectively live well with Gastroparesis.  She also has numerous videos on YouTube that offer great advice and recipes.

I had to start out slow.  When I was symptomatic all the time I mainly relied on meal replacement drinks for my nutrition.  I tried all kinds before finally settling on Glucerna, vanilla flavor.  Mainly because I'm a diabetic and some of the others had too much sugar for me.   I could munch on crackers, toast or biscuits to help sustain me. But on my worst days that was all I could "eat". I tried several protein shakes and have yet to find one I can really tolerate.  I have a new one that Crystal Saltrelli recommended, by PlantFusion, but I haven't tried it yet.  Of course I do take a multi-vitamin and have since added a B12 supplement.  I have found that the gummy vitamins are more tolerable, my favorite is VitaFusion brand.  Then I slowly started adding new things when I felt well enough to try something new.  I learned the hard way that you HAVE to go slow or you'll end up sick and not sure which food you tried was causing it.  So I started a food chart with what foods I knew I could tolerate and became my "go to" foods during flare ups.  In the beginning stage this was my Safe Food List:
  • Glucerna
  • Carnation Instant Breakfast
  • Ensure
  • Crackers: Saltines, Town House, Ritz, Club
  • Chicken Broth, homemade (Andrew Lessman's Cure All Chicken Broth recipe)
  • Toast, French Bread (I have since eliminated this food.)
  • Biscuits
  • Potatoes, baked or boiled, no skin
  • Enlive Apple Juice box
  • Organic White Grape Juice
  • Applesauce
  • Nutella
  • Peanut Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter, whipped, made from Olive Oil
And that was literally all I was able to eat.  Yuck!! I couldn't live like this.  So I found that if I kept it slow and only tried one new food a couple times a week, to see how it did, worked out better.  Then I was able to tell what was making me sick.  Surprisingly pineapple was really good and is actually a natural tummy tamer, it has its own digestive enzyme that helps to settle the stomach.  I put it in my Ninja blender with some ice and vanilla yogurt for a very tasty smoothie. As I progressed and added food to my diet I've found that the following foods are tolerable. 
  • Pineapple
  • Yogurt, vanilla
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Carrots, cooked
  • grapes, juiced and strained
  • strawberries, juiced and strained
  • HMR 500 Chicken Soup
  • Cheeses: swiss, colby, cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan
  • Vocelli's cheese sticks
But I could not progress past this point.  I was really concerned about my protein because it seemed that was what I was having the most trouble digesting.  So I was doing OK but the above food lists were literally ALL I could eat. 

One day my work place had an opportunity for us to sign up for a free 10 minute massage which led to a free 30 minute massage that led to me giving Nardone Chiropractic & Wx a chance.  They were awesome!  I started going 3 times a week and received a 30 minute massage, a  chiropractic adjustment and then a workout session with the trainer.  Dr. Nardone also introduced me to Zypan a wonderful digestive enzyme that has allowed me to be able to eat chicken again.  Dr. Nardone also suggested I try eating a beet daily to help with my digestive issues.  I can't even begin to tell you how much this has made a difference.  I buy fresh beets, organic when possible, peel them cut them up into chunks and then boil them.  I puree them with a little brown sugar.  It looks like purple pudding and it is delicious.  By eating beets I now have regular bowel movements and let me tell you after dealing with diarrhea for over a year on a daily basis this was a huge accomplishment!  He also told me to stop eating French bread that it literally turns into paste in your system.  I haven't eaten it since.  Dr. Nardone and his team are great and they have done wonders for me.  My experience has also helped me to implement a daily workout routine.  Check out www.nardonechiropractic.com if you are in or near the Benwood, WV area.  I highly recommend them.  Thanks to Nardone I have added the following to my Safe Food List:
  • Chicken, baked or grilled
  • Cream of Chicken soup
  • Spinach, cooked
  • Beets, cooked and pureed
  • Beets, juiced
I've found that small servings, 1/2 to 1 cup servings at a time do best.  I've also discovered that whole foods are more tolerated.  I try to avoid processed foods but still eat some processed foods.  Of course I am still trying new foods but as I mentioned this is a very slow process but that is what seems to work the best.  I only drink water, fresh juice and tea.  I've eliminated soft drinks completely.

Another important part of my Comprehensive Management Plan is my daily Yoga routine followed by a workout of either stretching or cardio.  I try to alternate the stretching and the cardio routines from day to day but the Yoga I do daily.  I also take a 25 minute walk during my lunch whenever I get the opportunity.  Exercise is a great way to minimize my symptoms and it just makes me feel better, more relaxed and happy.

By suggestion of Barbara Nagrant, PhD I implemented a daily meditation routine at bedtime.  I have a couple different meditation CDs by Belleruth Naparstek that I listen to at bedtime every night.  I now sleep better than I ever have in my life.  Stress tends to exacerbate my symptoms so anything I can do to minimize or eliminate stress is a positive thing.

So let's break it down, my Comprehensive Management Plan consists of the following:
  1. Start the day with a Yoga routine followed by a 30-60 minute workout.
  2. Eat a beet daily.
  3. Eat small amounts of food, generally 1/2 -1 cup at a time.
  4. Eat organic when possible.
  5. Eat whole foods and avoid processed food.
  6. Take 25 minute walk at lunch time 3-4 times a week.
  7. End my day by listening to a meditation CD before going to bed.
  8. Avoid stress.
Some of my favorite recipes can be found on my Favorite GP Recipes page.

Of course this is my story and these methods may not work for everyone but the combination of Yoga, exercise, meditation and finding ways to eat healthy, whole foods has made a tremendous difference for me.  I used to be Symptomatic 90% of the time and now I am 90% symptom free!!  So even if this plan isn't right for you please don't give up until you find what is right for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment